Ingredients Needed for a Bacon Jam Hot Dogs
- 1 package of Aunt Millie’s Hearth Whole Grain Wheat Hot Dog Buns
- 1 package of all-beef hot dogs
- ¼ cup white onion, diced
- 1 jar candied jalapeño slices
- 1 cup finely shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 4 tablespoons Bacon Jam
- 1 pound bacon, finely diced
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup strong brewed coffee, cooled
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup pickled jalapenos, drained from liquid
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Directions | Yield: 4 servings of Bacon Jam Hot Dogs
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat; add water, apple cider vinegar, red pepper flakes, and sugar. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
- Into a clean jar, add pickled jalapeños and sugar water mixture. Seal the jar and store it in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat and cook bacon, stirring frequently, until the fat is rendered, and the bacon is browned throughout.
- Place bacon on paper towels and pat out the remaining grease. Reserve one tablespoon of bacon fat and discard the remaining fat from the skillet.
- Add diced onions to the same skillet the bacon was cooked in and cook until translucent. Add minced garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook until fragrant, for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in coffee, vinegar, brown sugar, and maple syrup. Bring mixture to a boil while stirring consistently, scraping off browned portions from the skillet. Once brought to a boil, add bacon to the mix and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook uncovered for 1½ hours, stirring regularly, until the mixture becomes syrup.
- Once desired consistency is reached, remove from heat, and allow to cool, stirring occasionally.
- While your bacon jam is cooling, cook your hot dogs according to package directions, and lightly toast your hot dog buns.
- Once the buns are toasted, spread yellow mustard on the inside of the bun and top with a cooked hot dog.
- Top hot dog with 1 tablespoon of Bacon Jam (or more), a sprinkle of diced onions, shredded Monterey jack cheese, and 2-4 candied jalapeños.
- Devour immediately and enjoy your Bacon Jam Hot Dogs!