- Aunt Millie’s Deli Mini Sub Buns (8-count, reserve 1 bun for homemade meatballs)
- 14 slices of provolone cheese
- 14 to 16 1.5 ounce meatballs (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 cups tomato sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 Aunt Millie’s Deli Mini Sub Bun, processed into bread crumbs
- 1 pound ground chuck
- ½ pound ground veal
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup freshly chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces water
- 16 ounces tomato paste
- Salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to taste
Directions | Yield: 7 servings of Meatball Heroes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine tomato sauce ingredients, mix well and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine meatball ingredients and mix thoroughly. Divide mixture into approximately 14-16 1.5 ounce meatballs.
- Layer meatballs into a slow cooker that has been coated with olive oil cooking spray. Cook meatballs on high for 2 hours. After two hours, top meatballs with the tomato sauce mixture, but do not stir. Cook on high for an hour.
- Open the slow cooker, and gently stir the meatballs. Cook for one additional hour.
- When ready to eat, open remaining sub buns and place on a clean baking sheet. Layer each open-face sub bun with 2 slices of provolone cheese and place in the oven for remaining 2-3 minutes of cook time. Remove meatballs and sub buns from oven when thoroughly cooked and cheese is melted.
- Serve approximately three meatballs per sub bun with the desired amount of tomato sauce and enjoy your Meatball Hero.