Like the classic, but healthier! I had some super-thin-sliced chicken breast and needed a recipe to use it up, so I came up with this one I served these on Aunt Millie’s Live Carb Smart buns, which are so good — you’d never know that they are healthier. They pack a ton of fiber, which is why I love them (17g in one bun)! These sandwiches are super simple, quick to make, and don’t require a ton of ingredients. Plus they are filling and protein packed!
- 8 oz thinly sliced chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper sliced thin and cut in half
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced in 1/4” rings 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic seasoning
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 6 tbsp shredded mozzarella
- 2 Aunt Millie’s Live Carb Smart hot dog buns
Directions | Yield: servings
- Heat skillet over medium heat, spray with olive oil and add onions and peppers.
- Add 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning and 1/4 tsp garlic powder.
- Cook 15 minutes or so until soft and starting to caramelize. Remove onto a plate.
- Spray with more olive oil and add chicken and remaining seasoning, and then cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Add peppers and onions back in to warm through.
- Divide between 2 rolls (you may have some extra; I just ate it on the side) and top with 3 tbsp shredded mozzarella each. (I popped mine in the microwave to melt the cheese; you can also place on a sheet pan in a 350 degree oven for a few minutes.) Enjoy!